Telemundo Houston offers internships to qualified undergraduate and graduate candidates interested in the TV broadcasting industry. Interns gain hands-on experience while working on challenging projects, networking with professionals and learning from some of the brightest minds in the business. The duties and responsibilities of an intern vary by department.
The intern may work during the summer, fall or spring college semester, full-time or part-time, based on availability and business needs.
Please refer to the following guidelines for submitting your resume: Summer – Semester Internship (May – August)
Resumes Accepted from January through March 31st
Review Period is March-April
Fall – Semester Internship (September – December) Resumes Accepted from May through July 15th
Review Period is July-August
Spring – Semester Internship (January – May)
Resumes Accepted from September through November15th Review Period is November-December
What We Require:
• Enrolled as a Junior, Senior or Graduate student at an accredited four or five-year college or university • Undergraduate or Graduate Major related to our business
• Must have a minimum of a 3.0 out of 4.0 overall grade point average
• Eligible applicants must have authorization to work in the United States and have a Social Security Number.
• At least (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher and/or advisor
• Letter of Intent (500-1000 words max)
If you satisfy the Telemundo internship requirements, you can apply by sending your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: A copy of your transcript, At least (1) educational references from a teacher and/or advisor and a Letter of Intent (including a list of at least 3 department you would like to intern in. Please see descriptions below.)
Resumes will be accepted according to the above dates. Any resumes submitted after those date will not be reviewed. Top candidates will be interviewed by station mentors. If you are selected for our internship program, the specific date will be determined at a later time.
Securing housing and transportation during the internship is the responsibility of the intern. Telemundo Houston cannot offer support in this area.
Explanation of Opportunities:
(Bilingual – Spanish/English required)
• Assist assignment editor in conceiving and executing news coverage and coordinating reporters and field crews.
• Assist in generating new story ideas.
• Place and receive phone calls regarding prospective news stories.
• Participate in daily editorial meetings.
• Aid in establishing a network of contacts and sources.
• Work with producers and news management in shaping newscast.
(Strong Proficiency of the Spanish Language is required for applicants)
• Support on on-air productions and video shoots.
• Work with producers to promote new series and image campaigns.
• Assist with graphic designing for newscasts by creating still or animated graphics.
• Assist in public relations by enhancing the relationship between the station and local Community with Public Service Announcements, community events, and special programs that affect local current affairs.
• Update and send out programming schedule.
Digital Media: (Strong Proficiency of the Spanish Language is required)
• Writing stories on everything from local news and sports to new restaurants and nightlife.
• Shooting, editing and posting video.
• Create content for our social media platforms, this includes writing posts in Spanish on a daily basis.
• Coordinate outreach with other digital media (directories, other website) to further promote our brand which would entail emailing, posting, calling, and creating partnerships.
Editing: (Strong Proficiency of the Spanish Language)
• Assist in reviewing and evaluating local news, promotions, sales, and sports footage.
• Assist in non-linear editing of local programs, including opens, segments, bumps, closes, and promos.
• Assist with the overall presentation of news broadcast, including working with archive tapes, taking feeds, and making comp reels.
• Confer with supervisors concerning layout or editing approaches needed to increase dramatic or entertainment value of production.
• Determine the specific audio, dialogue and visual effects necessary to input into tapes by using Dalet Editing System and Final Cut Pro.
• Participate in editorial meetings to gather assignments for the day.
• Work closely with staff photojournalists to learn how to creatively use the camera, sound, lighting and editing, to provide the viewer with a story on a given topic.
• Travel the local area, learn to transmit footage from remote locations, assist in preparing packages for newscasts, and generate their own ideas. All while under the supervision of a staff photojournalist.
Producing: (Strong Proficiency of the Spanish Language is required)
• Greet show guests upon arrival.
• Help Produce show briefs and topicals.
• Run teleprompter for live shows and recordings and deliver hard copy of scripts to anchors.
• Assist Associate Producer with creating supers, graphics for the show, and logging music cue sheets daily.
• Assist with Facebook and Twitter news updates.
• Assist in producing, organizing and bringing to the air the latest in news stories by writing the stories and television news.
• Assist in finding relevant stories, coordinating the order and style of presentation of those stories in a newscast.
• Monitor all elements of newscasts by collaborating with reporters, writers, graphic artists and editors to ensure on-time delivery.
• Attend editorial meetings and provide story ideas for the group to consider for air.
• Assist in field producing.
• Work with Research Manager to create TV reports and sales collateral material to be used by Account Managers.
• Assist in creating and maintaining programming inventory, including ratings. • Create Power Point presentations.
• Update programming schedules.
• Aid in analyzing market trends, which may affect station ratings.
• Assist account managers in sales strategies through research and prospecting. • Assist in identifying local client contacts.
• Prepare Power Point presentations for clients.
• Participate in client meetings, as appropriate.
• Aid in compiling proposals, transcribe commercial orders, track tapes and organize all correspondence and order information.
• Assist in post-buy recap process (proof of performance).
Technical Operations: (Bilingual – Spanish/English required)
• Train and assist in floor management and learn to floor direct a live newscast. • Train and assist in robotic camera operation and learn robotic camera system.
• Learn various control room equipment (staging, robotics, character generator, audio, etc.) from the technical operators.
• Learn television studio lighting techniques
• Final objective of the production intern is to achieve professional proficiency in one or more of the tasks listed above.